Amidst the Coronavirus outbreak in Nigeria, the Government imposed lockdown is being eased to allow residents to return to work and engage in economic activities. With Civil servants (from level 14, above), Bank and Factory workers amongst others, returning to work, it is expected that roads will become busy and commuters could get comfortable and easily forget safety precautions, further increasing the risk of contracting the Covid-19.
Until we achieve herd immunity or access to a vaccine, the risk of contracting Covid-19 which attacks the human respiratory system will remain evident. However, if you must go out to the public, here are five (5) safety items you must always have with you to protect yourself and your family.
1. Nose Masks: Most State Government in Nigeria has mandated the wearing of nose masks in public. With the outbreak came a scarcity in the highly protective, medical-grade nose mask we all know. However, the NCDC recommends that nose mask be made from tightly woven fabrics, see how to make yours at home here.
For 500 NGN buy a washable fabric nose masks made to NCDC recommendation on Ecobarter Mall. Buy 2 nose masks and get 1 donated to local communities within the FCT.
2. Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizer: The Covid-19 virus is mostly transmitted human-to-human via droplets from an infected person who might be symptomatic or asymptomatic. This strain of the virus can survive on surfaces such as hands, doors, tables, chairs, cash and more, for varying periods, but enough to be contacted by another person who touches such surfaces. This has made it paramount that you go out with an alcohol-based Hand Sanitizer to disinfect your hands at all times and avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose with a virus-laden hand.
3. Water Bottle: If you are returning to work, or going out of your home for hours, you must go with your water or beverage to avoid having to buy either sachet or bottled water in public. Taking a Vaccine is the best option to avoid the virus, the next best is Staying at Home but if you do not have access to any of these and you most certainly have to be in the public, avoid touching any surface that you are not sure of.
For 3,000 NGN you can shop 700ML Foldable Silicone Water Bottle on Ecobarter Mall. Fill your water in and fold the bottle into your pocket size once empty.
4. Tissue Paper: This strain of the Coronavirus is transmitted through droplets from an infected person when he/she talks, sneezes or coughs. However, we cough or sneeze for various other reasons and to protect yourself and your community as anyone can have the virus and be asymptomatic, cover your mouth and nose with tissue paper every time you cough or sneeze. Trash the tissue immediately after use.
An added advantage of carrying tissue is that you can offer it to the next person who is sneezing or coughing without a tissue.
5. Note Pad: It is important to document your movement to aid contact tracing and easily know when you have been in the same space with a new confirmed case. Your mobile phone has a note pad that you can utilize.
When out in the public even with your safety kit, maintain social distancing, avoid touching your face, sneeze into your elbow and go straight to the shower once you get home.
Together we will overcome.